Monday 31 January 2011

Interview updates.. Transcription of interview with Nick Williams

How do u fit into the market place?

I find that a mixture of reportage and formal mixed in with good quality Photoshop there are people who look at my website and say you Photoshop everything I don’t but the ones on the website are the wow factors. I know guys who don’t photo shop anything but there really quiet. You got to be able to take there photo and make it look different. Shoot at 2.8 backgrounds out of focus and make sure you’ve got beautiful sky’s and stuff like that. About I think giving variety of pictures and showing some experience also on my website there a category of winter wedding and that brings in people for winter weddings and make the website a bit personal, a picture of me on the website and stuff like that.


How would u describe your personal journey?

I did it as a hobby for a long time. Decided to take it up pro it went very quick. Timing is a lot to do with that advertised on yell .com, with 17 photographers on. So yea when I decided to be a photographer full time when I left the army 8 months later I was full time. 27 weddings in first year, I know Photographers now who don’t do 27 weddings 2nd 42 3rd 50 something. 


Do you have an artist background?


Nothing at all just started as a photographer. Had a practica mtl50 Russian camera….


What camera do u use now?

Cannon 1d mark 4 and a 5d mark 2


Do you only shoot Digital now or?

All digital and not film, Digital is easier to work with, clients prefer it because you can instantly see the results but also because I make a lot of wedding albums which I send digitally to a company to print, now if I had to scan on 400 35mm negs, edit then send them it would take me 10 times longer and really the quality of digital cameras now mean that in a wedding picture you couldn’t tell the difference anyway.

Did you just start with shooting wedding or did it start somewhere else?

No I didn’t start on wedding, I started on portraits because I was in the army and you can’t just book a wedding in there. Don’t kinda work that way.


Has any particular photographer inspired you to produce any certain pieces of work?

Um the only person, don’t tell him, David Mcgurr when I joined the masters photographers association I entered the first competition that guy beat me in both and I loved his work and now after figuring out his technique I use it myself, and that’s the only person I’m not really into these famous photographers, I’m not I don’t follow it, I do what I like, I do look at some peoples website and I’m an absolute addict for um… buying mags, you can never stop learning I don’t think. So yea I’m always looking through that. Damien Lovegrove actually I like him, he’s a nice chap, I looked at his latest work that he’s doing and it beautiful absolutely stunning, he ‘s got a good blog actually you should check it out, he used to be a BBC cameraman.


Last question really, do you enjoy what you do?

Um………….. Parts of it, I love taking photos, I could shoot 200 weddings a year and not get bored, I hate editing, and I especially hate editing studio work.

No comments:

Post a Comment